Use this forum to vote on and add ideas to improve Waze.

send XMPP message when nearing destination (Jabber)

some people are offended by outdated technology that requires one to pay for unwanted messages (sms).

It is beyond inane to use sms on a smartphone when XMPP is far more featured, FREE, secure.

Waze could further advertise the service with its own XMPP server. This would facilitate such messages, enhance social features, and expand the wondedful world of federation. Prosody and Tigase are great server options.

831 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Be SureBe Sure shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Withhold SethWithhold Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I no longer tolerate sms texting. It's conveyed as Packet Data by all networks. OUTRAGEOUS to spend money on that atop data fees.

I don't need google knowing MY information to share with people I trust already.

My brother forced his kids to use Xmpp Texting on all their devices. Six kids and 13 devices in his verizon account was stupid expensive with sms texting. "Unlimited free sms texting" is NOT free. Removing sms texting from his plan dropped his monthly cost 46% !!!!

▶▶▶ Xmpp Texting is the answer we all need ◀◀◀

Waze should integrate xmpp texting for map chats, inbox, and socializing to promote waze IRL with a JID inside domain.

Platform should be capable of both

● OTR
        ● mpOTR

Because PRIVACY IS A RIGHT therefore we have a right to encrypt communication

I would want zRTP & sRTP encryption on Jingle (sip) notes and chats

I use both xmpp and sip.

.... the shocker...

VoLTE uses both SIP & XMPP

Microsoft Lync is both XMPP & SIP

Cisco uses both SIP & XMPP

When will the rest of us become wise?

• Phil pi FryPhil pi Fry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Send Xmpp Text must be integrated into app AS OPTION to displace both MapChat and waze-inbox.

• Travis HaleTravis Hale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just my two cents worth, but why not create a tasker plugin, or a link between tasker and Waze, so that triggers could be started navigation which feeds the latitude and longitude, hit a traffic jam which also feeds latitude and longitude, nearly arrived (e.g. a few minutes away from location) and arrived at location (which feeds latitude and longitude).

This would allow the above request to send a XMPP message to be achieved through tasker, but would also allow us to send a sms to the person we are meeting to say we have hit a traffic jam, or to send a message saying we have nearly arrived (message can be email, pushover, txt, xmpp that is the great thing it is flexible).

If it helps:

• EffAreVessEffAreVess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use xmpp more than sip texting through voip, both without costs or ads. Our phones all have sms blocking. I can't believe people cling to that outdated tech let alone waste money on it

i hope waze will be early adopters of

multi party antispy security

• more allayedmore allayed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I no longer use old timey sms texting

xmpp texting is the only intelligent option on a smart device

• not device's person not device's person commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh yes!

this will save families serious money. I don't allow sms on my kid's phones. I've feature blocked it to encourage XMPP. they took to it right away.

Feedback and Knowledge Base