Got some suggestions? Enhancements? Things that bother you? (please choose a category after submitting - i.e. Android / iPhone / BB / WM / Symbian / general)

Make Tunnels navigable

831 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • StevenHBStevenHB commented  · 

Nicolas Bougues has a great suggestion. Waze's inability to extrapolate tunnel conditions leads to bad routing recommendations relating to them (e.g. every time I go through the Boston Central Artery Tunnel my estimated arrival time improves by five minutes as soon as I exit. Also, it's not uncommon to get poor route recommendations because Waze believes that there's significant congestion - frequently routes involve getting off the highway, taking local roads and then getting back on OR driving to a distant highway entrance for no particular reason).

• Falk LademannFalk Lademann commented  · 

Please consider optional OBD2 reader when present.
        This will easily deliver actual speed inside a tunnel.

• BastyBasty commented  · 

does anybody read the suggestions????

• Nicolas BouguesNicolas Bougues commented  · 

Couldn't Waze, when it re-acquires GPS signal after loosing it (probably because of a tunnel), just decide of some average speed for the whole "blind" segment (I mean, each sub-segment, based on length).

This would effectively let Waze process congestion inside tunnels (no matter the kind of tricky road connections inside), and stop it from suggesting congested tunnels forever.

Of course this would only work if the exit point of the tunnel is the one on the initially planned route, but in practice this is the case, most of the time.

• Thomas CervoniThomas Cervoni commented  · 

10years ago my old gps TomTom already knew the solution... Please wake up. Radar caught me in a long tunnel because my position was stopped. So boring...

• BastyBasty commented  · 

for two years under review? any solution???

• not device's person not device's person commented  · 

combine with that external GPS idea .. possibly exterior mounted

and definitely implement deadreckoning as a feature itself in lieu of gps-alternative location sources

• Jacob van DamJacob van Dam commented  · 

Elaborating on the post of Wim Godden (below), when being in a tunnel, Waze is disconnected from navigation until exiting it at the end. However, sometimes a change in direction has to be made immediately after the tunnel, but then it is already too late to receive in time the next step. I suggest that before entering the tunnel, which is usually more than 800 m before the change in direction, Waze will indicate the next direction to be followed immediately after exiting the tunnel. If not - current situation- when you exit the tunnel (with approx. 100 km/h), you may miss the turn in time. Moreover, this seems to me also applicable for warnings, such as speed cams.

• banishedbanished commented  · 

This is not just applicable to tunnels, but to any place where there is a reasonable expectation the GPS signal will be degraded, such as on the lower deck of the George Washington Bridge (NYC).

NOTE: This could likely be combined with the Dead Reckoning idea.

• Jakob AlvermarkJakob Alvermark commented  · 

My daily commute is shorter if I take the tunnel, but it is always congested at the time I drive to work. There are other, longer roads that is faster. Since Waze does not work in tunnels, it does not know it is congested.

• DarkStar_DS9DarkStar_DS9 commented  · 

Also, if there is a speedcam right after a tunnel Waze will not alert you because it is still "stuck" in the tunnel.

I'd go with the "last known speed" approach for now - it's better than nothing and should not be that hard to implement.

• Wim GoddenWim Godden commented  · 

Some GPS programs (like Nav4All when it was still available) did things like : "After the tunnel, keep right" when there was an action to perform right after the tunnel.
        Also, it could just mention "follow the tunnel for <distance>".

• Christopher GrennessChristopher Grenness commented  · 

I'm in as well, but my suggestion is to don't bother trying to use compass, gyro, accellerometer etc. just instruct the Waze client to stay on the current road with the last known speed (or even a 5% reduction as traffic often slows down just a tad in tunnels), in a sort of "demonstration mode".
        Don't bother changing parts of existing roads to "tunnels" either, just let Waze enter "low/no GPS mode" whenever GPS signals disappear - it might happen in city streets surrounded by tall buildings, in dense forrests, in deep valleys, not only in tunnels.

• harlingharling commented  · 

Even in short tunnels (never mind the Big Dig), it's easy to lose both GPS and data service. So if a road section were designated "tunnel", the Waze client would know not to panic, and the server would know not to mangle things too badly when the confused data transmission resumes.

• SoledkSoledk commented  · 

great idea, especially with the road type tunnel, and use entry and exit times for avg speed.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base