Use this forum to vote on and add ideas to improve Waze.

Add friends without facebook

Why am I forced to use facebook in order to add friends to Waze?? I don't use facebook, 75% of the world's population does not use facebook at all (and more with every day). Is keeping fb afloat Waze's most important purpose?
Anyway, I don't want facebook friends on Waze, I want Waze friends on Waze and facebook friends on facebook, don't try to mix a driving app with a social network.

1,222 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
SS shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

70 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forcing Facebook on people is ridiculous. We already put up with ads, and the user community builds the maps for waze. So it isn’t truly a free app, and when it’s owned by a behemoth like Google, there’s no need to sell out users’ privacy to FB for a little extra revenue. We share our location and speed to make Waze what it is. No other information about us is your business or Facebook’s.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolute crap. The feature isn't a hard thing to keep working. Uber does it easily. I can send my drive to anyone on my contacts list and it will even show me real time updates!

Why can't Waze? Why has a feature that was heavily used depreciated instead of fixed?

Why was no announcement about it made? Why have none of the forum posts about it gotten a reply from the developers explaining what is going on?

THIS IS BULLSHIT.

• Minister Carole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Carole Rothe Lilly Waze I need to share my ride with friends that are NOT ON FACEBOOK! Please fix this!!!! When I signed up for Waze, my friend, NOT ON FACEBOOK, hooked me up and we were able to travel together, now we cannot use this feature... cannot even send a message by Waze text anymore... this is counter intuitive, if you want more people using this App you need to make it available to more people, not less people! I have several stalkers on FaceBook who are always trying to catch me, now I can't use Waze because you want FB people to know where I am traveling... I have over 700 friends, why to they need to know where I am??? Do you want me to be found DEAD??? Please add back the feature to use NON FB contacts that I can send by Waze text to share my drive that will not hunt me down and kill me...

• Don Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree 100% Every time a free app gets taken over and "monetized" this happens. I don't understand why you would take popular functionality and remove it without explanation. This is one the fantastic features of Waze. All you did was make the product less useful.

• Mark Hudkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix the share my drive feature. I use this to look out for my wife on her drive home.

Please

• Texas_Gomez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't have Facebook, and don't intend on getting it. I preferred the old way of sharing my trips.

• Don commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to have Waze friends without giving Waze access to my Facebook or all of my contacts. If you wonder why, and have been living in a cave, google "Cambridge Analytica".

It’s not rocket science, just put it back the way it was. Not a Facebook user and never will be.

• mavrik64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waze was always about community, friends in ither words. Why oh why have you removed this. I can't share a journey with a mate, can't follow my wifes progress home (so i can start dinner), can't beep beep a mate when they are online. All this adds up to a f**k you to "community". TEll me why i should keep using waze?

• Anastasios Mimikakos ("Tassos Photography") commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

of course !!!
    YES we want it to !!

as in the past or better .. to give us the ability to have facebook friends / twitter friends / friends from contacts ... OR All together at the same time !!!!

i had a lot of wazers-friends before and now just 4-5 ....

I thought waze was owned by google and google promotes an open architecture, why force me to use facebook and not let me add friends from my contact list?

I have no facebook and i will not use facebook, but i would like to have waze friends.

• Siobhan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thought the problem was a bug, I had Waze friends who were now not able to see my trip in the client, I like all these other people don't have Facebook and never will… I am in shock that Waze made the TERRIBLE decision to remove Waze friends and limit friends to Facebook. This is how you get long time users to dump your service. Facebook is a disgusting product, an invasion of privacy (Cambridge Analytica) and no way will I ever have an account like that. You took away a feature that was working perfectly and that is unacceptable.

• Karin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ever since the update where friends were removed, the sharing of my ETA with my family is extremely limited. I can send my ETA as I depart, and if the other does not have the Waze app open at the time, the ETA is sent properly (From <friend name>: I'm on my way to - <destination>, arriving at <time>). After that, everything else stopped working. In the app you can't see the ETA (it's always the current time instead of the arrival time), there's no more "about to arrive" or ETA updates sent, the bar that shows your progress against your friends' when you head to the same destination is gone. We used this functionality daily and are missing it badly. I am not connecting to Facebook for this, and shouldn't have to.

I can't be bothered with Waze any more. It used to be excellent and I could communicate with my partner when one of us was driving. I don't use Facebook and never will and find the whole user interface has deteriorated massively over the past year. If my partner sent me a driver I used to be able to go into it, now it's just a thumbnail overview. Sadly the app has gone the way of all apps they spoil because they can't stop tinkering with. Rubbish.

Feedback and Knowledge Base