Map Editor Suggestions

Welcome to the Map Editor's suggestion box!

This is the place to share your ideas for improving the Waze Map editor.

Looking forward to reviewing your ideas,
The Waze Communities Team.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Limit name input in event mode

Technically, the name of an MTE is limited to a specific length (number of chars).
    But nevertheless, I can type longer MTE names into the name field of a new MTE.

Sometimes I have trial&error situations because of that. I simply have to test whether a name is still short enough by trying to save the name. If the name is too long, I get the error displayed that finally shows it.

It would be way easier if the WME could directly stop the input when the maximum name length is reached.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Added to backlog  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Route of Last Resort RTC

Ability to create an RTC (or TBSR) that will permit routing on the segment as a last resort (effectively make it a PR from a penalty perspective).

This would be very helpful for soft construction closures that are marked "local traffic only"

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove Headlights Required checkbox for countries where it's invalid

Only a few countries are configured to use the Headlights Required attribute on segments in WME.

Until recently, the checkbox was hidden for countries where that is not the case (the majority). Now it seems the code for that simple check has been removed and we all have it cluttering up the interface and confusing new editors who won't know what it means or why it's disabled.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. The fact that all segments entering a Junction Box are 'locked' is a real pain. Why not do a little 'behind the curtain magic'.

Here is how I suggest you do this: when any segment entering a JB is 'touched' in a way that would currently cause a 'flag' to warn the user that the segment is locked, WME would instead 'take a quick snapshot' of everything involved in the JB and save that information.
    A pseudo picture of the JB would be created where every segment entering the JB would be 'cut' where it crosses the boarder line of the JB.
    The portion of each segment within the JB would retain the current segment # and other information as appropriate. The portion of…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Segment History lacks detail

This is for Beta and Production:
    When checking segment history, restriction changes such as HOV or passes do not include enough details. If you change whether a restriction is for a certain lane or all lanes, that should be displayed. This image is after changing the restriction from left lane only to all lanes.

We should be able to see all changes to the restrictions in the history.

by turbomkt
    Link to original suggestion: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1525&t=274498

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

Thank you very much for this great suggestion.
    It was added to our backlog to try and see the possibility to implement it.

Please note there is no ETA for it yet.

Best,
    Hezi

6. WME ruler

Having in mind new functionalities like Falcon and Road Width, it would be very helpful to have a simple tool on WME to help to quickly check the linear distance between two points.

This would help to determine, in case of Falcon, the need to make a split of a segment or, in case of Road Width, to evaluate its width.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Segments leading to a Junction box should be Splittable

Currently, when you try to connect an existing segment (segment E) to a segment leading to a Junction Box (Segment L), the WME won't allow to create a Junction.

On the other hand, creating a new segment (segment N), Segment L can be split, but then a saving error will happen (operation not supported).

This different behavior is confusing and it's not easy to understand why it is like that. This mostly looks like a bug to the user when the Junction box is far away and not even on screen.

To fix both problems, WME should allow splitting a…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added to backlog  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow closure overlapping

Hi,
    very often I am notified of an event that needs closure after it started, then I go to select the many segments that must be closed.
    When I want to add a proper closure on them, there are already dozen of closure made by drivers and I have to remove all of them one by one before adding mine. That's annoying because it is slow, and sometimes new closure are made by drivers while I am removing them :

And overlapping closure are not a real problem because when it is done by waze app it happens often so…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

Thank you for the suggestion.

In order to check this suggestion, we would like you to share some more examples with us.
    We aim to get the understanding of how often this is an issue.

Best,
    Hezi.

9. Display international and state-level borders in WME

A quality-of-life improvement for WME that would make cross-border editing easier.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Share location permalink type

In the Share Location popup, when in beta WME, please consider adding option to change permalink to Production WME.
    This is to allow easy sharing of the permalink to all users.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add Stop Signs in WME for routing

I would love if you could make it where we can add stop signs to the WME to be apart of routing. Just like what you guys did with the lanes feature. I saw Apple Maps already has this and would be cool to be added to Waze also.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this suggestion.

This is currently not planned to be implemented, and therefore we. won’t move forward with it

We encourage you to keep on suggesting great ideas.

Best,
    Hezi

12. Do not move my map somewhere else after an edit

Hi,
    when editing from the feed (closing MP, UR), after saving WME moves to a random place where it thinks there are other UR I can solve. It is extremely annoying. When editing I save often because of various save bugs, and as soon as I saved it moves somewhere else and I cannot find where I was editing to finish the job.
    Same problem when saving, if Waze thinks there is a problem it moves my map to where it thinks the problem is, and if it is a long road, it happens often that the road is offscreen.…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

Thank you very much for this great suggestion.
    As we believe this will be solved with a release of related features, we added to our backlog to track and make sure it was solved.

Best,
    Hezi

13. Change formatting of forum sharing options

When an editor uses the new forum sharing options which is great, because of the order of the data on the request, valuable information is being overlooked.

For example, the current Unlock Request automatically fills in the following information:

Hi Editors,

I would like to be able to edit the following segment(s).
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Permalink: https://waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&lat=29.63406&lon=-104.27920&zoom=5&segments=516527406
    Reason:
    Unlock to level:

Thank you in advance,

The "reason" and "unlock to level" kind of blend in.

My suggestions would be to
    1. automatically fill in the "unlock to level" information with the rank of the editor making the…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added to backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Enforce better minimum segment lengths

WME currently allows segment lengths down to 1 m. However, editors are told that Waze will not measure traffic speeds accurately over such short segments and that mapping them could degrade the end-user experience. Different regions may have different recommendations for minimum segment length, but if anybody knows the best minimum length, it should be Waze itself. If Waze will not function properly with extremely short segment lengths, then WME should not allow them.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Conditional lane guidance

There are many cases in highways where there is an on-ramp shortly followed by an off-ramp. In those cases, the right lane/s serve for those who get on the HW from the on-ramp, as well as those who get off the HW on the off-ramp.
    A wazer that gets on the HW from the on-ramp and has to continue on the HW should get lane guidance to go onto the left lanes when approachng the next junction of the off-ramp, otherwise, he might continue on the right lanes and get off the HW.
    A wazer that comes on the HW…

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Events: additional tickbox "event needs push notification"

Requesting push notifications for events through the editors' community still doesn't work very well and is not rewarding.

Now contributors get a notification if their event was published by Waze staff but they get no notification about the event being reviewed at first. If Waze decided to not send a notification, the contributor doesn't get to know the reason, nor the information that the decision has been made!

When I enter major events I -as a local member- often know that they have a high impact on traffic in the near area.

I suggest adding a tickbox to clearly show…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  cartouche  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Editing permissions - change request

I suggest to chane some editing pernissions as follows (the current required level is given in parenthisis):

1. Giving a "narrow street" road type to a segment: 3 (1)
    2. Entering a TBR / TBTR (this includes difficult turn and toll road designation): 3 (1)
    3. Enter a turn instruction override: 3 (1)
    4. Delete a segment that someone else created: 3 (2)
    5. Create a new MTE: 4 (1)
    6. View RTC details (view only): 1 (4)
    7. View of house numbers: 1 (2)
    22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Speed ​​limit map error

I would insert the ability to see the speed limit map errors reported by users with the function to be enabled or disabled in the control panel.
    This possibility, unfortunately, is only available for those who have access to the WME beta but it can be free for everyone.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Vocalize speed limit when speed limit changes.

I realize Waze can show the speed limit on screen and alert when a user goes over the speed limit, but the app does not make any kind of auditory alert when there is a speed limit change (ex: “The speed limit is now 70 MPH”)

Such an alert would be useful because if a driver could know that the speed limit has been, say, raised from 60 to 65, he or she can then drive faster sooner. It might otherwise take 5 or 10 minutes before the driver notices the speed limit was raised - by seeing this on…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  3 comments  ·  dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Remove false city names from UK WME database

Following the mass import of data for 3 ad campaigns (McDonald's, M&S, Aldi) by the Ads / Geo-ops teams the UK map is now littered with false or incorrect city names. These must be removed from the map immediately as they are NOT city names and should not exist.

The UK Champs have asked privately for this to be done but for some reason this request needs to be public.

This is NOT a change to UK mapping, this is simply following common sense that Counties should never be used as a city name and fake city names should not…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Chris,

As your community manager have also communicated to you via email, this request was sent here by mistake.

We will keep on supporting it with in the correct flow.

Best,
    Hezi

• Don't see your idea?

Map Editor Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base