Share your ideas: how can we improve the map editor, the website, dasboard,community and any other suggestions

offline navigation

how about implementing full gps navigation, i mean like maverick pro for android, i would love offline navigation and trafic report all in one app, i understand that for report one needs data transfer on realtime, but i also travel to natural parks, no 3g, or signal at all, however gps works, also, it would be great when meeting friends cause waze helps me find them.
another thing is when you plan long travels (more than 300 Kilometers 187 miles) for one day

560 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stephen Fros Ony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, that's is a very important feature especially when you drive in area without 3G or when you drive with data roaming.

• Benjamin Blood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with shwaman. I think that it keeps generating needed money for Waze, and added functionality to the app for users. Even though there would be no traffic report, it is still better than nothing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support offline maps just so that we donot get stranded with no data connection. All the waze users will be still willing to contribute to the navigation statistics (that is what makes waze free and a working model) and bring in offline maps will not go against waze model in any way.

• Mike Fisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When travelling abroad, where 3G roaming is very expensive, I would like to be able to work off-line.

• Meir Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is a great idea! Often Waze fails to get a route at all because routing servers are overloaded. Waze should be able to create a default route in such a case.

• Mac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't this already exist? I was offline for an hour or two and Waze was working fine. I think there's a setting at least on the iPhone to cache the map area.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is clearly an improvement that helps everyone. The benefits to users are enormous because f the ability to preserve our data plans and to retain navigation when n weak or no-signal areas, but this also benefits Waze, since etter content can be pushed if bandwidth isn't being used to push map data. I do NOT understand why this wasn't already instituted as an option.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand Waze's business model is built around the ability to compile actual driving habits, but I also know that there are many places where there is no data coverage.

I think it would serve you better to save the driving history to be able to upload at a later time. I also believe this is supposed to be the current behavior, but that is not what I see when looking at the driving logs.

• shwaman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important when in a different country and you don't have a data plan. I understand that advertisement is important to keep waze going and I have a solution for that. WiFi is now ubiquitous, so when someone wants to navigate in a state or country where they don't have 3G service he/she could download a map via WiFi and with the download would come local advertisements. A redownload could be required if more than a month has gone by. Also a restaurant or other business could have it's location stored and popup a message (for a fee of course to be "on the map") as a driver goes by or is in the area. There are many waze it could be handled.
    You would lose the live updates but still the tool would be very worthwhile and when stopped you could get a current snapshot of traffic via an available public WiFi.

Feedback and Knowledge Base