Share your ideas: how can we improve the map editor, the website, dasboard,community and any other suggestions

Speed limit for streets

1,272 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    amjaliks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PKwaze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One click to: Beginning of journey; present position; end of journey. One often wants to see the local roads around destination even before setting out.

• SergeySTB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tested this feature on my car unit. It is very useful but if you are not driving. It is not so easy to catch the alarm without sound. I'd prefer to get a special sound and a light red overlay on the screen.

• watsonwz12 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me this is the single biggest feature Waze is missing currently. The crowd-sharing model should make it relatively easy to collect/refine that data as well.

• vince1612 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To anyone here: Good news !

If you check the Wishlist here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Wishlist
        Speed limit is listed and there is a reference to Ticket 180 with a clickable link. If you go there it says clearly that speed limitations were accepted by Waze on August 24th 2014 with the note: "Planned for future version."

So no need to keep giving more reasons, it's gonna happen ;)

• Balázs Szabó (dLux) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most important missing feature from Waze for me, and that's the biggest disadvantage over the other navi app I use for offline navigation. I miss this a lot, it would be good to know always what the current speed limit is when I accidentally missed the sign.

If you happen to choose to implement this (please), then please add a warning when I go faster.

Please make the warning rules configurable per country, as the rules for speeding are very different (+x kmh, +x%).

Looking forward to this feature. :)

Balázs

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its good idea , may this option will be given to area managers to update the speed limit .

• falzar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes , wazers can help waze to build an important database of speed limit ( streets , roads , highways etc ... ) and correct errors or any changes approved by 5 different wazers for exemple ;

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately needed feature. I'd be glad to contribute by adding the speed limits to my area. and to the user who stated that we just want to "speed without getting caught" that is not my desire at all - I do not want to get a speeding ticket because I missed a speed limit sign (easy to do when they are few and far between) on the all too common roads that appear safe at 50+ MPH but are signed at 30-35 MPH for no apparent reason. Please at least add the ability to input the speed limits in the map editor so we can start populating the database, even if the implementation is going to be a long way off. In my opinion this is the largest, most glaring shortcoming of Waze as it currently is; commercial GPS units had this years ago (with varying degrees of accuracy) and the lack of it makes Waze appear very outdated.

• Jt Hernandez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an area manager, I know this will be a pain in the rear to enter in all the proper data, but it will probably also save me from the handful of reports every day that tell me that this turn or that was unnecessary, even though Waze decided it seems a few seconds faster.

• Sascha Kolenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waze is all about saving money. If there was an audible warning to the wazer who was speeding, it would alert the driver to slow down to to the speed limit, and waze would save the driver the fine and loss of demerit points from speeding.

Lots of other SatNavs have this feature and it is really appreciated.

• nzhook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There seem to be a lot of map editors against this feature, how about a hybrid option.

In the map editor an area is selected (like a landmark), which indicates a whole suburb, town, city... and the general speed limits used in the area are given, eg. 50, 70, 100. Then Waze can use the wazer speed averages to determine the closest one. If someone goes over the estimated speed it warns with 'most users go an average of X in this area'... This speed could also be shown on the screen to those who want it. (Personally I use by Navmans speed limit as a warning that my speed is slowly creeping up, unfortunately its a fixed speed so only works on open roads so this would be an awesome feature)

The area map would also make map editing easier as it could default the town field to that area, rather than requiring it to be entered for every segment.

• Daniel James White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have voted for this, not necessarily because I need to be reminded about the Speed Limit but also because I think that it will aid Waze in it's routing algorithm.

I was around London over the weekend visiting my father and Waze would often cut the corner through residential areas. On the face of it this would seem like a good idea. However, Waze was doing a 'shortcut' off a clear (no traffic) 40mph main road onto several 20mph residential areas covered in Speed Bumps and STOP junctions.

There's no really way to use the Map Editior to prevent this as it's not a disallowed turning or anything and I don't want to vandalise the map to persuade it into working more efficiently. However I'm sure that if Waze understood that is has a 20mph limit as well as using average speed data that it would provide better routing.

I mean it could be that some boy racer is flying over the speed bumps with Waze open and makes it think that it's OK when I actually value the bottom of my car!

I see people on the forums saying it's not part of the scope of Waze, but it's scope IS Navigation and without this information it can and DOES give out less efficient routing. Other people say that speed limits change too often for it to be relevant. I can't see any stock in this response at all, at least here in the UK. The only time a speed limit changes is temporarily through road works, but only ones that are for a long period of time as planning permission has to go through first, or a permanent one due to accidents, etc.

• rleejr79 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't suppose that I would have a problem with this and it does sound like a neat concept. With phone screens getting larger, the viewing of the extra icon should not be a problem. I like the idea of the icon display with the "option" to check if you would like the icon and/or the warning if going over the speed limit.

As a map editor though, I would hope that Waze would purchase this information from another source and enter it into their program. In my opinion, the ability to add speed limit signs itself would be a nuisance. There are many connections for different roads and map editors should not have to deal with this problem.

Would this effect the routing system that Waze uses as it relies on Wazers personal driving statistics for speed averages and such?

• PKwaze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have seen the earlier posts and it would be extremely useful if the current speed limit could be displayed continuously. In England there are frequent changes of speed limit – perhaps as many as 4 – 6 in a mile, and to be able to check at a glance would be brilliant.
        I don't need colours or flash-ups, just a steady figure in a sign in the corner (top right?).
        A reply from the Waze development team would be nice.

• khaytsus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't seen anything about being able to input a speed limit in the editor, and it'd have to start there (or be defined from some other set of data) and I've seen no mention of this in the forums. The data would of course have to be in there before the client could use it.

Maybe someday.

• Steve Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really don't understand why this feature doesn't exist or isn't in the works. What Waze provides is real time, usable information to a driver. Having speed limit would help, especially when traveling outside of your normally used routes. Is anyone aware if there has been any movement in this direction by the dev team?

• Stephen Rutherford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A previous GPS I owned had this feature and it is quite helpful if you are in a new/unfamiliar area and speed limit signs are few and far between. It should be an option to turn on/off (as the speedometer is), as some people are opposed to seeing it.

• ChiliCHeeCH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent suggestions here. Warn only if the speed limit has been defined and you're going over it. Let the user specify the warning thresholds. Let the user submit the speed limits as things can change. Let the user determine whether or not he/she wants the speed limit to be displayed on the screen. Only warn if the speed limit is being displayed.

• David Mowry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the user could get an audible sound when they are going faster than the posted limit and if they have the "show speed" on the display, then the color of the symbol could change based on the speed your going... like black is your speed (and Waze doesn't know the limit in the area), Green is your going 0-4 over the limit, Yellow is your going 5-10 over the limit and Red is over 10mph over the limit.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base