Map Editor Suggestions

Welcome to the Map Editor's suggestion box!

This is the place to share your ideas for improving the Waze Map editor.

Looking forward to reviewing your ideas,
The Waze Communities Team.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Snapshot Mode vs Current Live Map

The latest release of WME includes relocated snapshot mode, with name changed to "Current Live Map". During beta testing this was pointed out to and noted by staff. Statement was made it would be corrected. Incorrect wording was pushed to production and needs to be changed back to Snapshot Mode.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Editing permissions - change request

I suggest to chane some editing pernissions as follows (the current required level is given in parenthisis):

1. Giving a "narrow street" road type to a segment: 3 (1)

2. Entering a TBR / TBTR (this includes difficult turn and toll road designation): 3 (1)

3. Enter a turn instruction override: 3 (1)

4. Delete a segment that someone else created: 3 (2)

5. Create a new MTE: 4 (1)

6. View RTC details (view only): 1 (4)

7. View of house numbers: 1 (2)

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show conflict choice option on deleting junction node

(Copied over from https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1525&t=229014)

If you try to delete unneeded junction node, but it can't be deleted due to a conflicting option between then, at the moment you need to inspect each segment to see what the differences are. This is especially frustrating when there may be a hidden speed limit set on a one way segment.

Can a dialog box pop up on deletion of a junction node if there is a conflict to allow the editor to select one of the conflicting settings for the newly joined segment?

OR

Create an error message saying the junction node…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show Lane Guidance for all editors

Show Lane Guidance (LG) for all editors regardless of level.
    Today there is a limit to handle LG. In my country the limit is set to a higher value than my level. At present we lowlevel-editors cannot see the current LG and therefore we are not able to propose a adjustment of a existing LG nor propose a new.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. [Request] Map Comments Expiration Notification

When a Map Comment (MC) has been entered and is nearing its expiration (2 weeks in advance or 1 week in advance), notify and/or place a note in the Feed of the expiring MC.

This would allow the editor to verify if the MC is still needed, extend it, and/or reconnect road segments where a long-term project may have warranted segment disconnects instead of long-term RTCs.

If roads were disconnected and the project is nearing completion, this would allow the editor to reconnect the segments and then add RTCs so routing could occur immediately upon the completion of the project…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

Thank you very much for this great suggestion.
    It was added to our backlog to try and see the possibility to implement it.

Please note there is no ETA for it yet.

Best,
    Hezi

6. POI's moving distance

At the moment moving a POI have a distance limitation (2km I belive?) Sometimes when a business changes phisical place to another place, like 10km away, we need to move the POI like 2km, save, move again, save again...

It makes no sense. Please remove it or allow us to move POIs further.

Thank you.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow closure overlapping

Hi,
    very often I am notified of an event that needs closure after it started, then I go to select the many segments that must be closed.
    When I want to add a proper closure on them, there are already dozen of closure made by drivers and I have to remove all of them one by one before adding mine. That's annoying because it is slow, and sometimes new closure are made by drivers while I am removing them :

And overlapping closure are not a real problem because when it is done by waze app it happens often so…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

Thank you for the suggestion.

In order to check this suggestion, we would like you to share some more examples with us.
    We aim to get the understanding of how often this is an issue.

Best,
    Hezi.

8. "Historical" satellite imagery from Google Earth Pro

Google Earth Pro has many versions of satellite images available. All versions are accessible from a "Historical imagery" slider, and more often than not several versions are more recent than what we see in Google Maps and WME. Albeit some areas might be cloudy/darker/less sharp, but that's ok because most are useable.

Is it possible to get access to these Historical imagery in WME?

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Limit name input in event mode

Technically, the name of an MTE is limited to a specific length (number of chars).
    But nevertheless, I can type longer MTE names into the name field of a new MTE.

Sometimes I have trial&error situations because of that. I simply have to test whether a name is still short enough by trying to save the name. If the name is too long, I get the error displayed that finally shows it.

It would be way easier if the WME could directly stop the input when the maximum name length is reached.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Do not move my map somewhere else after an edit

Hi,
    when editing from the feed (closing MP, UR), after saving WME moves to a random place where it thinks there are other UR I can solve. It is extremely annoying. When editing I save often because of various save bugs, and as soon as I saved it moves somewhere else and I cannot find where I was editing to finish the job.
    Same problem when saving, if Waze thinks there is a problem it moves my map to where it thinks the problem is, and if it is a long road, it happens often that the road is offscreen. …

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

As we believe this will be solved with a release of related features, we added to our backlog to track and make sure it was solved.

Best,
    Hezi

11. Getting more of GPS tracks

I have two main suggestions about GPS tracks :

• I would be great to see how old they are

• We should be able to filter them by date - for closures or tracing new roads for exemple

I'm not sure if it's possible on your side, but it would be helpful for all of us!

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  cartouche  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improve the GPS points layer

To branch off the discussion from the WME release topic:

RichardPyne כתב:
    I would find GPS points much more useful if they were color coded by age rather than direction. Th arrows provide useful direction, but in areas where traffic patterns are changing due to construction, knowing the age of the trace would be far more useful.

dchary2418 כתב:
    It could help if the GPS traces were the same original color, but shaded darker for older data.

Glodenox כתב:
    I'd be all for somehow showing the age of the GPS points. Especially the more recent data seems of interest to…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Enforce better minimum segment lengths

WME currently allows segment lengths down to 1 m. However, editors are told that Waze will not measure traffic speeds accurately over such short segments and that mapping them could degrade the end-user experience. Different regions may have different recommendations for minimum segment length, but if anybody knows the best minimum length, it should be Waze itself. If Waze will not function properly with extremely short segment lengths, then WME should not allow them.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Parking Lot Roads - Differentiate Aisles & Roads

It would be nice to have a way of setting PLRs to be able to use speed data (versus a set speed) while having the same penalty settings (i.e., the road has no penalty between the two PLR settings). This would be useful in large parking lots area such as sporting venues and malls, where set speed is fine for aisles and minor roads but speed data would be useful for finding the fastest entrance/exit on it's higher volume roads. With the set PLR speed, you are almost always getting the shortest route of PLRs, even if that lot exit…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. More Specific Error Messages

Specific error messages are very useful, and we can use more of them.

Here are some recent cases I have run across where it would be helpful to have a more-specific error message

RPP too far from identical HN (zoom out if necessary to highlight the HN location)
    RPP too far from recently-deleted HN; try again after HN update. (zoom out to highlight the former HN location)
    Improper restricted turn in JB (show and highlight the specific turn arrow which is the problem). Allow the turn and try again (https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=211&t=276336&p=1922955#p1922761)

By: voludu2
    Link to original suggestion: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1525&t=276591

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

Hey!
    Thank you very much for this suggestion.

Detailed Error messages are part of the planned idea of the WME dev team these days.

We will keep you updated with any updates

Best,
    Hezi

16. Increase the number of things that can be modified at country management level.

For example each of the road types creation, could be limited to an editor of a certain level.
    Similarly, the walking tracks, railroads, cameras, etc.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Select segments included in permalink regardless of zoom level

When handling unlock requests for larger areas, or when doing extensive highway closures, we often deal with permalinks that cover a broad area.
    To combat the problem currently, we have to break up the PLs, or use a script to select segments as we pan around.
    It would be exceptionally helpful and a great time saver if WME would load and select segments that are specified in a PL regardless of the zoom level.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Looking into the suggestion  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Vitrual Lanes

There are many places where Lanes go one or two junctions back (H junctions for example). The editor should allow to define lanes that are not limited to the turns at the end of this segment:
    Real example:
    We have 3 lanes. The left lane is loaded for 1 KM. In that 1 KM there are 4 junctions ( right turns allowed).

It would be nice to be able to define 1 lane for Left turn, one for going Straight Ahead, and one for Straight Ahead or Right.And be able to do this for all 5 segments.

By: Rill
    Link…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. URL length limit – why?

The WME URL field for Places is limited to 100 characters. I'm not really sure why!

Most URLs will fit in this area, true. But some hotels have URLs longer than this. When I try to add one to a Place, it is truncated, so the URL does not work in Waze.

A hotel in my area has this URL:

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotel ... index.html

WME truncates it to this when pasting into URL box:

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotel ... ood-clearv

To compare them:

CODE: SELECT ALL
    https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/louisiana/hampton-inn-and-suites-new-orleans-elmwood-clearview-parkway-area-MSYELHX/index.html

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/louisiana/hampton-inn-and-suites-new-orleans-elmwood-clearv

For a hotel in particular, websites can be difficult for searching for a particular location, and…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

Best,
    Hezi

20. RTC : ability to add them on current tiles

Hi,
    the real time closure have a problem :

We put them in WME and WME validates them according to their current state in database. But they apply on livemap.

Imagine I have a street that is A->B. Then they decide to reverse it. So it is now saved B->A.

In WME I have B->A
    In livemap I still have A->B until tiles update.

To avoid routing people A->B, it would be nice to add a closure, but WME refuse since it thinks the road is in opposite direction.

It would be nice if WME could accept it by really…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

Best,
    Hezi

• Don't see your idea?

Map Editor Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base