Skip to content

Map Editor Suggestions

Welcome to the Map Editor's suggestion box!

This is the place to share your ideas for improving the Waze Map editor.

Looking forward to reviewing your ideas,
The Waze Communities Team.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

64 results found

1. "Sharp" Turn Instruction

Create a "sharp" turn instruction. Similar to "keep" instructions being an angle <44 degrees, a sharp turn instruction could be one greater than 135 degrees but less than 170 (which would be u-turn). Other apps already have this instruction and it would greatly complement lane guidance visuals that use the sharp left/right turn symbol. Alternatively, it could be provided only as a TIO for use only where the community finds appropriate.

102 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Place Hours: Sunrise to Sunset

When adding Places, especially outdoor places (such as parks, playgrounds, beaches, etc), there are often posted hours saying the Place is open only sunrise to sunset, or conversely that the Place is closed sunset to sunrise. Unfortunately, the existing Place hours interface doesn't allow for these kinds of hours, only HH:mm times. As sunrise and sunset times change constantly, and in some places drastically due to orbital motion of the earth and time changes due to daylight savings times, it is impractical to estimate open/closing times using HH:mm formats.

It would be beneficial to both app users and map editors…

165 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  General  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Particular and recurring restrictions

Sometimes I faced uncommon recurring restrictions to be applied on a segment, for example:
    - every first sunday of every month;
    - every third thursday of even months;
    - every last saturday of every month.

There is NO WAY to do it automatically in WME, because the editor is unable to know which is the first occurrence of sunday every month and so on, meaning I have to edit those restrictions manually, and I will for sure forget about them.

Developing a built-in tool for these particular cases could be globally very useful.

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Show Entry Point Name changes in POI history and PUR

I noticed that Changes to the name of Entry Points of places won't show up in the POI history, it simply says "Updated Entry Points".

This also affects PURs, since you don't know what the Wazer/Editor is suggesting until you accept it.
    I reckon those requests mostly get declined since there's no visible change.

My suggestion is to add those name changes to the history and PURs.

87 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Closing URs that are no more in your editing area

I can edit the area of a UR when I first answer it because it is in my edit area. But sometimes I do reach the expiry date of the editing area in the middle of working on this UR. Because of that, I can't even close the UR I started working on.
    It would be great if there will be an option to close a UR you started working on even if this UR is now outside of your editing area.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. School Zones Speed limit 40km 2:30-4pm weekdays

We need to know the school zones and change the speed limit around these times near school which the time is 2:30-4:00 pm Monday to Friday only around school zones this feature should be added in so people like my self don’t get confused with the on screen speedometer

65 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  General  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Rearrange RoadShields by moving the boxes with the mouse.

It would be really great, if we could move RS on WME. It's really tedious when you have to delete RS and search again just to change the order of them. How great would it be if we could rearrange the different RoadShield boxes by moving them with the mouse.

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Events: additional tickbox "event needs push notification"

Requesting push notifications for events through the editors' community still doesn't work very well and is not rewarding.

Now contributors get a notification if their event was published by Waze staff but they get no notification about the event being reviewed at first. If Waze decided to not send a notification, the contributor doesn't get to know the reason, nor the information that the decision has been made!

When I enter major events I -as a local member- often know that they have a high impact on traffic in the near area.

I suggest adding a tickbox to clearly show…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add keyboard shortcuts for setting a voice prompt override when a turn is selected

Please allow setting the turn override with a keyboard shortcut, when the turn popup is shown.

Define a set of shortcuts for all possible values (or at least for the main common ones, continue, turn left, turn right, u-turn)
    You can show them on the dropdown, so that people know what key to use.
    Example: https://ibb.co/hHZsXtM

This would save a lot of clicks (and would more likely prevent mistakes of setting the opposite direction) in particular when setting them over roundabouts.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Update UR Categories the same as the App

Would like to match app problem descriptions with those presented in WME URs.

For example: UR's that come in for 'Wrong Driving Directions' (what the App says)
    Show in WME as 'Improper / Poor navigation instruction'

Having that changed to 'Wrong Driving Directions' will help with editors looking at responses and what to select for a default/1st response to a user.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Draw City Boundaries More Accurately

Currently City Boundary layers are not drawn precisely, which can result in the wrong city name being displayed to users in the app. I continue to get URs on this regularly in my area.
    This issue seems to be seen commonly when cities are divided by an undulating river. Users should not be shown that they are in a city that they are not in. The system to "draw" the city layer should rely on more data points to draw a more accurate city layer. I will attach screenshots to show this more clearly.

https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&lon=-122.59338&lat=49.19848&zoom=2

https://imgur.com/V9kFFp4
    Incorrect city "Maple Ridge"…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Wildlife Collision Hazard Areas

Wildlife, especially deer, are a significant hazard to drivers in many parts of the world. Collisions with deer account for one to two million insurance claims each year in the US alone. While wildlife on the roadway is harder to anticipate than other hazards, authorities do know of specific areas, times of year, and times of day that drivers are at increased risk of collision. Please let us mark these hazard areas (with the times of year and times of day they should be "active" to avoid hazard-alert fatigue) to communicate this risk to drivers. Both drivers and wildlife will…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Need options for Unit/Apt/Space/Suite/Building numbers on addresses and RPPs

I am seeing more and more large apartment/condominium/business complexes with multiple buildings all sharing one street address, and am more frequently getting URs about incorrect addresses because of it. Note, that the designation need to be alphanumeric.

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow hyphenated house numbers in RPPs

In my AM in Iowa there are several neighborhoods that have hyphenated house numbers. Here's an example: https://beta.waze.com/editor?env=usa&lat=42.40782&lon=-91.76381&zoom=6 Since they are on a private road RPPs should be used but can't be because hyphens are not permitted.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Conditional lane guidance

There are many cases in highways where there is an on-ramp shortly followed by an off-ramp. In those cases, the right lane/s serve for those who get on the HW from the on-ramp, as well as those who get off the HW on the off-ramp.
    A wazer that gets on the HW from the on-ramp and has to continue on the HW should get lane guidance to go onto the left lanes when approachng the next junction of the off-ramp, otherwise, he might continue on the right lanes and get off the HW.
    A wazer that comes on the HW…

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ability to submit PUR's outside of your editing area.

I would love to be able to submit PUR's for places outside of my editing area. As I sometimes see places that have incorrect data that needs to be updated but not always an editor in that area is aware. Rather than PM them on the forums it would be more efficent to just submit a PUR for that place. Currently you can only do it in your own unlocked Area..

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow moving nodes inside Junction Boxes

Junction Boxes currently prevent moving the location of nodes inside them, which means that geometry edits often need JBs to be deleted and recreated.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow sending Update Requests closing message when the map update succeeds

Send the UR closing message to the user when the map really gets updated (contains all changes up to the UR "closing" time).

Some things may get fixed immediately (by adding a closure or updating a place), most things require a map update. That means that we always have to write stuff like "in few days/after the next map update, the problem will be fixed".

Maybe a third button like this:
    "Mark as Solved"
    "Solve on map update" <-
    "Mark as not identified"

When the second button gets clicked a form opens when I can write a message to the…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add closures provides by a partner feed to the history of a segment

Closures placed with WME can be traced back in the WME because they are added to the history of the segment. Closures provided by partner feeds are not added to the history. Adding them to the segment history makes it easier for the editors to find solutions for URs.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make Pedestrian Boardwalk / Non-routable Pedestrian Path the default pedestrian segment type

As the map matures and junior editors look for ways to contribute to the map that is increasingly locked down, I am seeing a lot more use of the pedestrian segment types. The overwhelming majority are entered as Walking Trail (Routable Pedestrian Path) as these editors do not understand the implications this has on routing. As the vast majority of cases for pedestrian segment types calls for non-routable paths, I would like to see newly created pedestrian segments start out as Pedestrian Boardwalk instead of Walking Trail.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Map Editor Suggestions