Use this forum to vote on and add ideas to improve Waze.

allow an option to route around (avoid) areas based on crime statistics

I get SpotCrime's reports which a crime mapping tool. While I was driving using ways the route it gave me might have been the shortest, it was certainly not the safest. It took me through an area with a well documented and violent drug trade.

Why don't they have "safest route". This could be determined by overlaying the navigation information with your crime mapping. The system would then avoid an area with an high occurrence of violent crimes. I think you'd find there are lots of people like me that can see the value in this and would be willing to pay for it.

35 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • T3 ConsortiumT3 Consortium commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be of great social value to have the option to add a layer to google maps that show crime data. First, realtors are not allowed to divulge crime information when I'm looking for a house when relocating.

Secondly from a driving perspective, it'd be important to have an option to avoid high crime areas, or at least know when you're driving into one.

Groups like Crime Mappers have already defined the data and the methods, so one similar to there idea might work.

Do you agree?

We posted an article to review the discussion and history as well....

http://blog.t3consortium.com/mashing-crime-data-to-maps-and-gps/

• Mike TrieuMike Trieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Trulia already has a great crime mapping implementation that pulls from both SpotCrime and CrimeWatch and can even filter the data based on violent and non-violent crime. Having this data in a real-time, interactive, mobile app like Waze would be invaluable to motorists. I've heard rumors of a Microsoft patent that supposedly precludes implementing this feature, but it only covers pedestrian routing and explicitly excludes vehicular contexts. Since Waze is only used for vehicular routing, anyway, this should not be a legal issue Waze should be worrying about. If in doubt, consult Google's legal team. I'm sure they'll concur.

Feedback and Knowledge Base