Use this forum to vote on and add ideas to improve Waze.

track buddy

Ability to be buddies with other wazers, and track them. If they want to have a multiple car roadtrip, they would always be able to find eachother

918 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    robert2505 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely want to see better tracking features.

My wife and I have been using Glympse for years as it is so simple and accurate to share and track your current location, you can even setup 1 click sharing for 'regular shares' (my wife uses this when she is leaving work so I can start dinner when she is a certain distance from home).

Waze sharing/ETA is terrible, takes too many clicks, and seems to rely on Facebook linking which I do not want to do.

I should be able to optionally integrate with Contacts, Facebook, G+, etc. but also just add a name and mobile number, store in local Waze address book, to be able to send a TXT message.

• Dave Wedd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I'm leading someone it would be very useful to see whether they are three cars behind me or have taken a wrong turning.

• Adam Non commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good idea ... planned in 2012?
        I don't want any app to have unconstrained access to the contacts in my phone.
        I'd be okay with adding a handful of "buddies" for driving purposes (people I meet at events or when I am picking up someone, to let them know my ETA without Waze having full access to all contacts and then indiscriminately deciding who I know or who might know me, etc. ... nope nope nope.)

• Chris Compo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be nice to see each others markers on a map (real time) travelling around too. Also would like to see an option when you share your ETA with anyone Wazer or not, so they can see the info they get now and or an option to see you moving in real time on a map. could send to G+ locations option too!

• Marton Kodok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We travel a lot in group to the mountains and we'd love to see each other, and actually to "Follow" each other, so it should be great to combined with the "Follow me" function.

• Samsung TTS FTW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No thanks, not if google continues to demand a phone number "for verification" *cough* bs *cough*

Glympse is perfectly suited without harvesting my information

I don't share my mobile number easily. Google can promise whatever. The fruits of their philosophy renders claims comical at best.

My friends DON'T NEED ME TO VERIFY with google. They receive ZERO BENEFIT.

• Vladislav Rybak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wanted to propose the same feature. It maybe highly useful for helping someone to arrive to certain location by phone while tracking his location on the live map on waze web size.

• Joshua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No social site integration. Must be two way confirmation. Should be able to turn off and on, etc. - but yes - do it.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! If the location data is already public, why isn't it possible to search for (and/or track) a Wazer if you know their waze username - no need to reveal any personal data, the waze userid is independent.

• Dignity Matters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah PubSub model for buddy tracking: mutual confirmation and authentication

xmpp xep Privacy List

will provide the best individualized privacy and security

• not device's person commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

waze 3.5 almost replaces glympse, Truck R! :)

track buddy, like friends without "social" network also benefits from. waze XMPP server

pubsub track buddy

do, however, allow waze Jabber ID to differ from waze username. to mix it up like nicknames implement alias XEP

• Truck R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please do NOT request Account Tokens permission on android. Trolling my contacts to compare with waze online database is very not acceptable.

(glympse works perfectly well •without• account registration)

Feedback and Knowledge Base