Map Editor Suggestions

Welcome to the Map Editor's suggestion box!

This is the place to share your ideas for improving the Waze Map editor.

Looking forward to reviewing your ideas,
The Waze Communities Team.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Additional camera types, with names and TTS defined by community

July 2020, Waze has three camera types: speed, red light, dummy. It is clear talking to different community leaders that the requirements for specific cameras vary from country to country. Thus, we are asking for the ability to add new camera types per country, with the ability to input into text to speech (TTS), and on/off toggle alert in the app. These could be provided by form, similar to new gas station brands, etc. by a country's leadership.

Alternatively, collect a list of camera types from the communities to create a long list, and allow countries to turn them on/off…

167 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Added to backlog  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [Request] Allow to make streets two way temporarily

Allow to make streets two way temporarily, like closures, but the other way around.
    Sometimes construction works require you to open another street and turns. And you cannot do this in time by editing map. You can close the streets, but you cant OPEN the streets for some time. I mean one way or with restricted turns.
    So we need an option to temporarily bypass one way setting and closed turns penalty. This may be called Openers :)

By: Olestas
    Link to original suggestion: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1525&t=194260

154 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

Thank you very much for this great suggestion.
    It was added to our backlog to try and see the possibility to implement it.

Please note there is no ETA for it yet.

Best,
    Hezi

3. Internal editor Notes on User Reports

Give editors the ability to enter Notes onto User Reports without these going to the reporters themselves.

This will allow us to leave messages for other map editors without the reporter being notified, for example, Please leave open - due to a Waze developer investigation, Please leave open for a pending site survey, etc.

It may also give us the ability to for to use for an internal conversation about the report that the reporter doesn't need to know about.

Yes, I know we have Map Comments, but having the ability to do this directly on the report would make…

118 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. TR Closure mechanism

It may be difficult to implement, but a Time-Based-Turn-Closure would be really helpful during construction works. How many times are you obliged to UNKISS segments because crossing through the roadworks is not allowed? So like a closure mechanism but then on node TR.

87 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added to backlog  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add closures to new segments

It would be really great if we could add closures to segments just after creating them. Currently that's not possible. In this case, once the segments are built into the map, the closures would be added to them automatically

Why?

Sometimes city administrations make few changes in the traffic by creating new roads. The problem is that most of the times (at least where I live) we don't know exactly when those roads will be released. In addition, map build may delay.

So, as soon as we know a new road will be built, we can create it on WME…

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

Best,
    Hezi

6. Add manual lock level to Junction Boxes

Currently, Junction Boxes do not have a controllable lock level. From the look of it, the lock level displayed is the minimum level for the country that can edit a JB. For example, in the UK only L5+ editors can edit JBs, so all JBs show auto(5) in WME.

With various changes that HQ are making into WME and the app, it seems to me that they expect a massive increase in JBs over time. U-turn prevention, junction modification for Falcon are just some of the things for which the answer often seems to be "use a JB".

I'm not…

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added to backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add an item under the Place menu for Residential Point Place

Right now, to add an RPP one must select a place type (other than residential) and then click to convert to residential. The vast majority of PPs I add are RPPs and this adds an unnecessary step. This should be simple to add, with no downside.

64 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added to backlog  ·  4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Keep previous history for merged/split segments

Hello!

I think it would be very helpful if segment history included data from previous "iterations" of that segment, when a segment was created by merge or split.

Right now, the history starts anew any time there is a new segment ID, but I would imagine it should be fairly trivial to develop a backend mechanism that, any time a segment is split or merged, merges the history of the previous segment ID into the new segment's history.

This is useful not only diagnostically but also to catch cheaters on the map, who today can split and merge segments at…

61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

Best,
    Hezi

9. Subscribe to segment

It may be nice for us to be able to "subscribe" to a segment ID, not sure if it should be rank locked or not.

Basically, add a check box on a segments panel to subscribe to changes of the segment.

When subscribed to a segment, if a change is made to a segment the subscriber gets an email notification that their segment has had changes (and of course provide a PL)

Among other possible uses, it could be used to get notification if someone makes a change to a segment that is part of the Toll Price feature.

by…

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

Best,
    Hezi

10. combine Lane guidance segments

With the newly implemented Lane guidance we see new problems rising up.
    In belgium, beeing densly populated, we somtimes have several entry's or exits of the highway following up on each other very closely.
    sometimes even as close as 20-50 meters.

I would like to have a sort of junction box type of tool to combine 2 lange guidance segments.

for example:
    2 highway exits within 50 meters. I want the Lane guidance before the first exit to allready show in what lane I have to stay if I have to take the 2nd exit.

It's kind of hard to…

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. [Segment Attribute Request] Treat 2 Way as Divided

I would like to have the ability to draw a single 2-way segment but be able to mark it as divided so it does not say you have arrived until on correct side of road. Sometimes you may have a segment that may not really need to be divided into 2 One-Way segments but if you want routing to offer the correct directions you would have to divide the segments. In my picture below, the red line shows what Waze currently does (it says you have arrived as you pass the house) The green line shows what it should be…

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey,

This topic may not answered as part of the suggestion up until now, but it has been discussed multiple times across the relevant teams.

We will keep on updating with any news

Best,
    Hezi

12. make geonodes easier to find

For really long straight segments, it can be a bit of a pain to find the little handle to make adjustments to the geometry as it is often entirely off-screen. This is especially noticeable now since we're making small adjustments to segments that formerly had no geonodes at all to bring them into better alignment for Falcon.

So as a suggestion - I was wondering how hard it would be to make a tweak to where there's always at least one "add geonode" handle visible on screen when a segment is selected?

At a minimum it would be helpful to…

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added to backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. [Request] Map Comments Expiration Notification

When a Map Comment (MC) has been entered and is nearing its expiration (2 weeks in advance or 1 week in advance), notify and/or place a note in the Feed of the expiring MC.

This would allow the editor to verify if the MC is still needed, extend it, and/or reconnect road segments where a long-term project may have warranted segment disconnects instead of long-term RTCs.

If roads were disconnected and the project is nearing completion, this would allow the editor to reconnect the segments and then add RTCs so routing could occur immediately upon the completion of the project…

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

Best,
    Hezi

14. Respect newlines/paragraphs in the initial base text of Map Comments

Please make WME respect newlines entered in the initial base text of a Map Comment. Currently, WME preserves newlines entered in the comments following the initial base text, but not in the base text itself. Paragraph structure makes text easier to read, so please let us use it when creating Map Comments.

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added to backlog  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Segment History lacks detail

This is for Beta and Production:
    When checking segment history, restriction changes such as HOV or passes do not include enough details. If you change whether a restriction is for a certain lane or all lanes, that should be displayed. This image is after changing the restriction from left lane only to all lanes.

We should be able to see all changes to the restrictions in the history.

by turbomkt
    Link to original suggestion: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1525&t=274498

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

Best,
    Hezi

16. Snapshot Mode vs Current Live Map

The latest release of WME includes relocated snapshot mode, with name changed to "Current Live Map". During beta testing this was pointed out to and noted by staff. Statement was made it would be corrected. Incorrect wording was pushed to production and needs to be changed back to Snapshot Mode.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Segments leading to a Junction box should be Splittable

Currently, when you try to connect an existing segment (segment E) to a segment leading to a Junction Box (Segment L), the WME won't allow to create a Junction.

On the other hand, creating a new segment (segment N), Segment L can be split, but then a saving error will happen (operation not supported).

This different behavior is confusing and it's not easy to understand why it is like that. This mostly looks like a bug to the user when the Junction box is far away and not even on screen.

To fix both problems, WME should allow splitting a…

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added to backlog  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Do not move my map somewhere else after an edit

Hi,
    when editing from the feed (closing MP, UR), after saving WME moves to a random place where it thinks there are other UR I can solve. It is extremely annoying. When editing I save often because of various save bugs, and as soon as I saved it moves somewhere else and I cannot find where I was editing to finish the job.
    Same problem when saving, if Waze thinks there is a problem it moves my map to where it thinks the problem is, and if it is a long road, it happens often that the road is offscreen. …

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

As we believe this will be solved with a release of related features, we added to our backlog to track and make sure it was solved.

Best,
    Hezi

19. URL length limit – why?

The WME URL field for Places is limited to 100 characters. I'm not really sure why!

Most URLs will fit in this area, true. But some hotels have URLs longer than this. When I try to add one to a Place, it is truncated, so the URL does not work in Waze.

A hotel in my area has this URL:

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotel ... index.html

WME truncates it to this when pasting into URL box:

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotel ... ood-clearv

To compare them:

CODE: SELECT ALL
    https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/louisiana/hampton-inn-and-suites-new-orleans-elmwood-clearview-parkway-area-MSYELHX/index.html

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/louisiana/hampton-inn-and-suites-new-orleans-elmwood-clearv

For a hotel in particular, websites can be difficult for searching for a particular location, and…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

Best,
    Hezi

20. RTC : ability to add them on current tiles

Hi,
    the real time closure have a problem :

We put them in WME and WME validates them according to their current state in database. But they apply on livemap.

Imagine I have a street that is A->B. Then they decide to reverse it. So it is now saved B->A.

In WME I have B->A
    In livemap I still have A->B until tiles update.

To avoid routing people A->B, it would be nice to add a closure, but WME refuse since it thinks the road is in opposite direction.

It would be nice if WME could accept it by really…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

Best,
    Hezi

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Map Editor Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base